Now it’s coming to that time of year again, when I can allow myself to start thinking about my next mobile upgrade. I currently have the iPhone 3gs 16gb. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great phone. However apples reluctance to let you do anything with it that they don’t want you to do, as well as the crap battery life is driving me insane!
I honestly have to charge the phone up every night, sometimes even twice a day.
This past week due to snow I have barely been out the house for longer than an hour whilst I fight with the crowds at Swanley station to get on SouthEastern’s non-existent Contingency service. Yet, despite having full Vodafone signal, and not using the phone due to being in front of my pc the whole time, I’m stull charging the phone twice a day!
Now; I close all my apps when I’m finished with them, I never Ever leave anything running. I run the battery down (not through choice I might add!) at least once a week so it’s completely flat as they recommend. It’s always running the latest version of IOS as soon as it’s released.
Ok, yes, I do have 3g on the whole time, but I have a Vodafone SureSignal in the office and at home, so I do have full mobile signal. I also have Wi-Fi on the whole time as well, although I will add Wi-Fi doesn’t appear to be doing anything until you unlock the phone.
But what’s the point in having this technology on a phone if you have to switch them off for the phone to last longer than six hours? I mean I have been out of bed since eleven o’clock, I’ve sent four text messages and taken one, two minute phone call and the battery is now down to 50%!
So the way I’m looking at it, I need a phone with:
• Fairly decent battery life (or the ability to change the battery)
• It needs to be on Vodafone with 3g
• I use the GPS/Google Maps a lot when I’m out the office.
• Wi-Fi is a must.
From what I’ve read on different sites and from what’s available. I think I’ve managed to whittle this list down to a few handsets. The choices are mainly HTC and Blackberry. But I’m almost certain that it will not be another iPhone.
• Blackberry Pearl 3G – Nice Size, weight. And I loved the original pearl! Although not as feature rich as the others.
• HTC Desire – Nice size, nice weight, running android. So very feature rich.
• HTC Desire HD –higher spec then the HTC Desire although it I feel it’s too big.
• HTC Desire Z – Don’t know an awful lot about this phone, Looks to be lower spec then the HD but higher than the Desire.
There are some others which I will read up some more on. Still I’ve got 2 months before I can upgrade. There may be something out there that I’ve not seen coming out!